With a passion to encourage and equip others to lead well, Tripp is eager to share requested resources with pastors, coaches, educators, parents, & students. Students, Tripp wants you to wildly succeed and have every resource you need to both grow in your relationship with Christ & encourage others to do the same. Check out the resources below and let him know which ones you like the most. Also, be sure to share any great resources he should consider adding to this page!
Resource Recommendations from SHC Student Ministries Team
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – How to Deal with the Anxiety
Here’s a reliable way to deal with the anxiety, stress of the Coronavirus or any worry, and live with greater peace…
- Peace of Mind in an Unstable World
No matter what the future holds, you can have peace of mind and confidence when you know this.
- “Exit: The Appeal of Suicide”
Before you finish reading this, one individual will have ended their life by suicide—because they think they have no other choice. According to the World Health Organization, a massive 800,000 people take their lives every year—one death every 40 seconds. That’s 3,000 a day. For millions who suffer from deep sadness and despair, “EXIT” points to a better way. This compelling movie shines a powerful light in the darkness and offers true hope to those who think they have none. Someone you know may be secretly considering their exit. Watch “EXIT,” and share it with those you love.
- Life Is __. God’s Illogical Love Will Change Your Existence by Judah Smith
- Dealing with Stress and Anxiety by Pastor Chuck
- Weekday Meditation from SHC
Looking for a tool to help ground you and get you focused on what matters most? Maybe, like many of us, you could use a little peace and direction in your life. Join us every Monday – Friday as we spend time applying God’s word to our lives. It’s just 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
- Abide Christian Meditation App
- Breethe: Meditation & Sleep App
- Navigating Life’s Inevitable Crises by Pastor Tripp
- Anxiety secion of Center for Parent/Youth Understanding
- Focus on the Family articles on Anxiety
Resource Recommendations from Erica Gregory – Johns Creek & Alpharetta Counseling Center
- Book: Created for Connection: The “Hold Me Tight” Guide for Christian Couples
I love this book because it explains the neuroscience of love and connection and outlines how God created us this way to connect with each other as well as with Him.
- Johns Creek & Alpharetta Counseling Center e-books
The Staff of JCAC has poured their heart out to create 3 free e-books to support and share hope with the community. The series is titled “Finding Calm in the Storm,” and includes a book for parents, adolescents/adults, and a book with mindful exercises. Free to everyone, simply click the link to download!
- Free Counseling Services
The Counselors at JCAC are offering Free Counseling Services during the time of the crisis to anyone impacted by COVID-19. This includes medical staff, first responders, and those who have lost employment. There are limited slots available- please call 404-834-2363 or click the link to get started!
- How to choose the right therapist
- How to talk to someone suicidal
- Online resources for cutting and SI:
- Book: Helping Teens Who Cut, by Michael Hollander
- How to talk to your child about cutting
- Feeling down vs. Depression
Resource Recommendations from School Counselors
- TeensHealth Stress & Coping Center
This is a good resource on dealing with stress. This website has a ton of resources about everything, and offers practical strategies for relieving stress and managing anxiety.
- CDC’s Stress & Coping
- Mindfulness Apps: Calm, Relax Melodies, Headspace, Smiling Mind, Take a Chill
- “Dealing with Teen depression” from HelpGuide
This resource has a good Depression / suicide category.
- Coping Skills for Kids
Written for young children, this is a very helpful resource to kids learn coping skills.
- TeensHealth article on Mindfulness
An explanation of mindfulness and mindfulness techniques.
- Change to Chill for teens
Includes a “what stresses you out quiz” that offer suggestions for coping.
- US Dept. of Health & Human Services Resources to Support Adolescent Mental Health
- Childmind Institute
This website is written from the perspective of helping parents help their kids. It gives about 25 different articles to read about anxiety. Recommended for parents.
This resource helps parents to diagnose anxiety in their kids
Videos & exercises explaining brain science behind anxiety & coping mechanisms. You have to submit email to view resources, but does contain many helpful videos.
- Erika’s Lighthouse
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America
- The Bible App (YouVersion Bible experience & devos)
- YM 360 Devotionals:
- “New” devotional for new believers
- “Next” next steps in following Christ
- “Now” impacting your world for Christ now
- “How to be a man”
- “Power Routines” Journal by Chuck Allen
- Right Now Media Video Series
- SHC Weekday Podcast
- SHC Weekday Meditation
- The Bible Project
- Kingdom Leader: A 21 Day Journey to Unleash the Kingdom Leader Within Us
- He Reads Truth / She Reads Truth App:
- Impact Student Leadership Devotional
- Starting College “First 30”
- Book: Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was, and Who God Has Always Been
- Bible Promise Book: (Topical Bible Verse Compilation)
- The Story: The Bible As One Continuing Story of God and His People
- Athletes in Action (Resources for Athletes)
- FCA – Fellowship of Christian Athletes (Spiritual Growth Tools for Athletes)
- The Bible App for Kids (for leading your younger siblings in spiritual growth)
In choosing a Bible translation, there are many things to consider. You can find some helpful articles below to help you make your choice. In Student Ministries, we typically use NLT translation in teaching as we find it to be easier for students to understand than such translations as NASB or NKJV.
A FEW OF OUR FAVORITES
SHARING THE GOSPEL
- The Story App
- Life In 6 Words
- Dare2Share Free Resources
- My Hope Videos (Stories from musicians, athletes, & “regular” people)
- I AM SECOND (Video Testimonies)
- Momentos Decisivos (Spanish Testimony & Gospel Presentation Video)
- Defining Moments – American Sign Language (Video)
- Something Amazing
- The Greatest Story Ever
- The God Conversation: Using Stories and Illustrations to Explain Your Faith
MUSIC / SPOKEN WORD / DRAMA
ANSWERS TO TOUGH QUESTIONS
- EveryStudent.com (A Safe Place to Explore Questions About Life & God)
- Sean McDowell (apologetics videos, blogposts, resources)
- Impact 360 Videos
- Ignite Your Faith – Christianity Today (Christian Answers to Teen Questions about Faith, Life, Sex, Dating, Relationships, Fun)
- The One Minute Apologist (Quick videos with leading apologists about tough issues)
- Josh McDowell Website (apologetics)
- Reasonable Faith (Animated Videos About Deep Issues)
- Living Waters Movies
- Evolution – Evolution vs. God: Shaking The Foundations of Faith (Video)
- Abortion – “180” (Video)
- Suicide – Exit (Video & resources)
GENDER / SEXUALITY / DATING
OTHER BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
- Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by
- Unashamed by Lecrae
- Counter Culture: Following Christ in an Anti-Christian Age by David Platt
- It’s Only Pain: But It’s Real & It Hurts by Taylor Morton
- Life Is __. God’s Illogical Love Will Change Your Existence by Judah Smith
- Gods at War: Defeating the Idols that Battle for Your Heart by Kyle Idleman
- Hold the Rope by Shonn Keels & Jeff Neal
WANT TO GO DEEPER?
PREPARING FOR COLLEGE
- One of the best ways to prepare for college is to be a part of our “Senior Experience” & development of your PLAN. Check out more info here.
- 5 Mistakes You Can’t Afford to Make in College by Anthony Oneal with Rachel Cruze
- Welcome to College: A Christ-Follower’s Guide for the Journey (2nd Edition) by Jonathan Morrow & John Stonestreet
- How to Stay Christian in College by J. Budziszewski
- Walking with Jesus on Campus: How to Care for Your Soul during College by Stephen Kellough
- Freshman: The College Student’s Guide to Developing Wisdom by Mark Matlock
- Learning For The Love of God by Donald Opitz and Derek Melleby